Wednesday, November 16, 2011

Are you REDy??



REDy or not…would you dare to wear a red lip??

Hello Mariposas!!  YAY finally my first blog post!!  Thanks so much for taking the time to look at this.  I really want this to be a place for us to share tips and tricks about makeup and whatever else comes up.  I will be doing some product reviews and eventually tutorials.  If you have any requests please let me know.  

When I was finally allowed to wear makeup at 14 my mom had 3 rules: no black eyeliner, no red nails and no red lipstick.  All of the above became “special occasion” additions to my makeup routine as I got older (and out of the house lol).  A strong red pout is all the rage right about now and you may be intimidated by this Classic look but don’t be.  For a while now the trend was to wear the barely there nude lip…which I love but it is defiantly a shock to the system to go red after nude.  There are many different ways to go too so finding your red is key.  Anyone and I mean anyone can wear a red lip!!  Whether it be scarlet, crimson or vermillion you need to see if a blue, orange or yellow based red, shimmer, gloss, luster, matte find one that compliments your skin tone and comfort zone best.  Try it and let me know your results!!

 The other night I, after many MAC lipstick purchases got the holy grail, Russian Red lipstick (worn by celebs like Gwen Stefani, Christina Aguilera and Scarlett Johannson) which is a blue red and has matte finish.  I’ve really had to work at getting used to seeing myself with red lips, thinking they are screaming across the room…here are my lips!!  I usually ask my hubby or a friend to reassure me that I don’t look like Mimi from the Drew Carey show!! 


When you wear a bold lip you need to balance other features, try neutral eyes or just a nice winged cat eye.


Here are a few swatches of my favorite reds:


Wined and Dined Maybelline Color Sensational
Russian Red by MAC
Dubonnet by MAC
Red Revival Maybelline Color Sensational
Ruby Star Maybelline Color Sensational
Rubylicious Maybelline Color Sensational
Ace by Flirt (Kohls)

Once you select your perfect red, here's how to apply it:
1) Exfoliate your lips either by using a damp washcloth 
or by lightly scrubbing with a toothbrush.
2) Apply a small amount lip balm.
3) Line your entire top and bottom lip for staying power (or not it's up to your personal preference for me it depends on my mood ;). 
4) Apply your favorite shade and blot.


Me in Russian Red at work



6 comments:

  1. You are a beautiful inspiration, as always!!

    I am so unbelievably REDy!!!! I look forward to reading all your posts about your new finds, trends and make-up encounters!!!

    XOXO

    ReplyDelete
  2. I adore a red pout, but it took me so long to find a red compatible with a redhead's complexion.
    But I found one in Chanel'l Fire. Love it!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks so much my DARLING Princess!! Can't wait to meet you at Nords to do some DAMAGE!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Jess,

    Thanks so much for your comment and for reading!! So glad you found your red because redheads look AMAZING with a red pout!! ;)

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love red lipstick in any shade. Thanks for the demo I love these informational posts! Keep them coming!

    ReplyDelete